Thursday, May 3, 2012

A New Group of Crayfish Visit Team Bond May 2012

Yesterday on May 2, 2012, we received a shipment of 7 crayfish.  The students loved getting to know them, as each group took 1 to observe.  Naturally, without any instruction, children began comparing the crayfish and making inferences about them.  It was also interesting that 5 out of the 6 groups named their crayfish without me instructing them to do so.  I loved hearing their reasoning behind their names too!  Throughout the next few weeks we will add entries to this blog featuring several students.  Each student will be keeping their own diary in their science notebook. 

So, let's meet the Team Bond Crayfish Team!
    Willis, which is in honor of Jake's favorite name.
     Snappy, who likes to snap, as well as named after Snapple, Paige's favorite drink.
     Sea Blue, named after the coloring of the claws.
     Speedy, named for his quick moves.
     Rocky, named because he's brown like a rock and hard.  Also because she pushes out her  pincers,       looking like she's lifting weights or punching.
     Little Buddy, because she was left all alone in the main habitat and needed to join one of her friends.  She was little and needed a buddy, therefore, she is named Little Buddy. 
     And last but not least, Michael Jackson Jr.  Please read the entry below to learn how he was named.


May 3, 2012
Hi my name is Michael Jackson Jr.!  I'm a crayfish and also I'm a boy.  I love my habitat right now way better than living in the wild. You're probably wondering why my name is Michael Jackson Jr.  Well this might sound a little weird, but I can do the moonwalk.  How can you tell a female from a male?  A female has green-blue claws. Guess what?  We just got another crayfish added that is female.  Her name is Little Buddy.  Well I gotta go!  Bye! (LN)

Love,
Michael Jackson Jr.

May 3, 2012

Hi my name is Willis the Crayfish. I only have one claw. I eat cat food.  I like following spoons for my play time. When I first arrived at Team Bond, I was thinking in my mind, "Where am I now?"  Then someone took the cover off my tank.  I was scared. Then I heard the teacher calling groups. I was picked in the last group.  They came over and picked me up.

Sincerely,
Willis

5 comments:

  1. Love hearing about the crayfish in your class! I would love to hear your class report about what a crayfish needs to survive and how that compares with other living things!

    Mrs. Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting! I can't wait to hear more about the crayfish. I would like to come visit your classroom and see the crayfish. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! we can't wait to keep up with all the adventures of the Team Bond crayfish :)

    Hopefully I can take a peek at them after computer lab on Monday.

    Mrs. Green

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crayfish... how fun. Looking forward to hearing the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Piagentinis will be checking in frequently to read crayfish stories. We're curious - - how often do crayfish eat and what are some of their favorite foods?

    ReplyDelete